COVID-19 social distancing guidelines have created particular difficulties for Alameda Corridor restaurants. One option for addressing this is expansion of outdoor areas to allow for additional seating. This includes expanded seating on sidewalks, adjoining parking lots and even parking spaces.
In May the City of Lakewood Economic Development Division announced a program allowing for temporary site modifications for businesses. In addition, Lakewood has developed a Friendly Guide for Outdoor Expansion Tactics for use by businesses in planning outdoor expansion.
Expansion of outdoor areas can entail significant expenses for equipment. To aid restaurants the Alameda Corridor BID is offering competitive grants to allow for outdoor expansion. Four grants of $850 each will be awarded based on merit.
Program Funding– $3,400
Applications Open– July 20, 2020
Applications Close– July 30, 2020
Grant Amounts– $850 each
Grant Award Criteria:
- Business must be a restaurant serving food on its premises.
- Eligible restaurants must be located in the ACBID service area from Sheridan Blvd. to Carr St. as shown on the attached map (includes the major commercial centers of Belmar, Lakewood Commons, Belmar Crossing and Alameda Crossing). Click here to view the ACBID Map
- Complete and submit the attached application to ACBID by July 30, 2020.
- Complete a City of Lakewood Temporary Site Modification Request Application and submit the application to the Lakewood Economic Development Division, https://www.lakewood.org/files/assets/public/economic-development/documents/temporary-site-plan-2020.pdf
A copy must be provided with your grant application.
- A Lakewood business in good standing with a current Lakewood business license.
- A for profit business such as an S or C corporation, LLC, partnership or sole proprietorship.
- Business must have been established in Lakewood by January 1, 2020.
- Provide a brief written description of your plan for outdoor expansion with a legible sketch.
- For structural improvements- permission from your landlord.
Uses of Funds– Grant funds may be used for any costs directly related to outdoor expansion including:
- Outdoor tables and chairs
- Sneeze guards and shields
- Outdoor signage
- Pavement markings or stickers
For outdoor expansion ideas please see the Lakewood Friendly Business Guide for Outdoor Expansion Tactics: https://www.lakewood.org/files/assets/public/economic-development/documents/lakewood-covid_design-guide-v3_no-resources.pdf
Grant Process and Deadlines
- Applications open on July 20, 2020 and are due by July 30, 2020. Please submit applications to Alameda Connects Program Manager Sarah Hadsall at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grant awards announced by August 5, 2020.
- Requires submission of receipts for grant expenditures by the grant recipient within 3 months of receipt of grant funds. Grant recipients will receive instruction on the process for submitting receipts.
- Outcome- Submission of written report within 3 months explaining how grant funds helped to facilitate business continuation.
This grant application will open on July 20, 2020 at 8:00 AM
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Signup to hear about all the latest activities along the Alameda Corridor!