ALAMEDA CORRIDOR BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT (ACBID) AND BELMAR RETAIL WINDOW MURALS ART PROJECT
Deadline to Submit Mural Designs: October 5, 2020
Project Completion Date: November 16, 2020
Artist Fee: $1000 per mural
The Alameda Corridor Business Improvement District (ACBID) and Belmar in Lakewood, CO announce a program for completion of 8 murals on Medium Density Overlay (MDO) plywood for the windows at the former Victoria’s Secret Store in Belmar on the NE corner of Teller Street and W. Alaska Drive.
The murals will be painted on Vertical 8 x 4 sheets of MDO plywood and displayed in the windows of the former retail store. The painted murals will be placed on the inside of the windows facing out. The method of mounting the murals will be reviewed and determined by Belmar before installation. The artist will paint a border on the glass around the outside of the mural.
This project is intended for completion in a short time frame, by November 16, 2020.
- To utilize colorful and vibrant artwork to enhance the appearance of a temporarily vacant retail commercial space.
- To create artwork for Belmar that exemplifies artistic and design excellence and enhances the pedestrian experience in Belmar.
- To provide opportunities for a diverse range of artists to be involved with public art in a commercial district.
DESIGN THEME GUIDELINES
Artwork should be family friendly, colorful and vibrant to enhance the pedestrian environment in Belmar. These guidelines are intended to provide ideas for artistic designs. Design theme examples may include:
- Natural scenes with plants, flowers, trees, wildlife etc.;
- Mountain scenes from any season;
- Scenes from community life.
PLEASE NO DESIGNS WITH POLITICAL MESSAGES OR INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT.
- Each selected artist will be provided with a gift card to pick up one sheet of MDO plywood from an area store.
- Each artist provides their own art materials.
- Murals must be painted at an offsite location and transported to the display location.
- Two or more artists may work as a team.
- Artwork becomes property of ACBID.
- Upon rental of the retail space the murals will be moved for display at another location in Belmar.
- Artist must sign a waiver of liability.
- Artist has a portfolio of artwork showing their ability to complete the project.
- Artist will be available to complete the project in the timeframe provided.
- Artist may be required to work with the art selection committee on minor adjustments to the designs.
- September 20, 2020- Program opens
- By October 5, 2020- Interested artists submit two mural designs and an artist portfolio via online submission
- By October 15, 2020- Designs reviewed and selected by joint ACBID/Belmar art committee.
- By October 20, 2020– Artists notified of selection.
- By November 16, 2020– Murals and borders completed.
Artist contract with the Alameda Corridor Business Improvement District and Belmar must be executed before work commences.
Questions: Contact Tom Quinn with ACBID at (303) 274-1807, email@example.com
Alameda Connects and ACBID are strong supporters of the arts on the Alameda corridor.
We celebrate all art styles and the artists who create them.
Arts on Belmar is a community of creatives located at 445 S. Saulsbury in Belmar. Formerly known as Block 7, Arts on Belmar is a place where you can see artists at work, where you can meet the person who created the piece you purchased, and a place where you will find diversity in styles and crafts. There are a total of nine galleries in the Arts on Belmar encompassing a variety of art forms and styles.
We participate in year-round First Friday Art Walks from 6 – 9pm each month. For more information on the Arts on Belmar go to: http://www.artsonbelmar.com/ *Due to COVID related restrictions – the First Friday Art Walks are currently postponed until further notice – stay tuned!
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Signup to hear about all the latest activities along the Alameda Corridor!