CALL FOR ARTIST ENTRIES
ALAMEDA CORRIDOR BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT (ACBID) TRAFFIC BOX ART PROJECT PHASE 2
Deadline for Submission of Artwork: March 1, 2021
Artist Fee for Designs Selected: $900 per traffic box
The Alameda Corridor Business Improvement District (ACBID) in Lakewood, CO has appropriated funding for vinyl artwork on City of Lakewood metal traffic boxes at selected locations. This artwork will be part of ACBID’s Discover Alameda arts and nature trail experience. Discover Alameda integrates wayfinding signage as part of a user experience with history, public art, physical fitness, and nature.
This project is envisioned to help bring a sense of community identity to the Alameda Corridor, foster economic development, contribute to a unique Discover Alameda experience, and assist in graffiti abatement. The awarded artists will be responsible for designing the artwork, placing it into required templates, and coordinating directly with the ACBID selected fabricator/installer who will transfer the artwork onto vinyl wraps and install the wraps on the boxes.
- To create a cohesive, system-wide collection of art for the Alameda Corridor that exemplifies artistic and design excellence and enhances the pedestrian experience on the Alameda corridor;
- To create a unique arts and nature trail experience on the Alameda Corridor as part of the Discover Alameda wayfinding trail;
- To provide opportunities for a diverse range of artists to be involved with public art in a transportation environment; and
- To heighten public awareness of the unique cultural resources, human and natural history of the Alameda Corridor.
DESIGN THEME GUIDELINES
These guidelines are intended to provide ideas for artistic designs. Suggested design themes include:
- Nature scenes with native plants, flowers, trees, birds, wildlife etc.;
- Mountain or prairie scenes;
- Art recognizing and celebrating Colorado’s black, indigenous and people of color.
- Large traffic box basic dimensions are 44” Wide x 26” Deep x 55” High.
- If your artwork is selected our graphics fabricator/installer will need to transfer the artwork onto vinyl wraps to fit the boxes exactly. Keep in mind the exact measurements may vary slightly between boxes and you are encouraged to take your own measurements.
- Each artist provides their own art materials and supplies.
- Two or more artists may work as a team.
- Artists will be assigned a specific traffic box at time of selection.
- Artwork becomes property of ACBID.
- All artwork must be approved by the City of Lakewood Public Art Committee.
- Virginia Ave. and S. Wadsworth Blvd., NE corner
- Virginia Ave. and S. Vance St., NE corner
- Vance St. and W. Alaska Dr., SE corner
- First Ave. and Teller St., SE corner
- Artist is a working graphic design artist and will submit 2 examples of their work which could be considered for the project.
- Artist has a portfolio of work which relates to the design sense of the project.
- Artist is proficient in and has the ability to transfer their design into an .ai or .eps vector file. template that has been created for each box and deliver the files directly to the installer.
- Artist will be available to assist fabricator/installer with any questions or concerns.
- Artist may be required to work with the selection committee on minor adjustments to the designs.
- By March 1, 2021- Interested artists must submit two box designs and an artist portfolio online by using the button below.
- April 1, 2021– Artists notified of design selection and assigned box. Artist designs sent to Lakewood HCA Arts Curator for final review/approval by Public Art Committee.
- By May 1, 2021– Artists notified of any requests for changes in designs.
- By June 1, 2021- Artists submit final templates to fabricator.
Artist contract with the Alameda Corridor Business Improvement District must be executed before work commences.
Questions: Contact Tom Quinn at (303) 274-1807, firstname.lastname@example.org. Information on the Alameda Corridor Business Improvement District is available on our website, www.alamedaconnects.org.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Signup to hear about all the latest activities along the Alameda Corridor!